In the body of an adult live several microscopic cohabitants. Most of them are beneficial and are our symbiotes. These include about 500 species of bacteria that live mainly in the intestines. However, many forms of life, entering the human body, begin to parasitize and poison the health of the host.
One type of unwanted neighbors are worms. They are parasitic worms that infect the intestines, liver, lungs and, in rare cases, muscles. All types of parasitic worms are united under the name of helminths, and their infection is helminthiasis.
To answer the question of how to treat worms, it is necessary to understand how they enter the human body. There are main forms of infection:
- Through the soil when infected with worms that spend part of their life cycle on land. Their developing eggs or larvae fall on vegetables and fruits, which are later consumed. Infected with helminths through the soil, animals later transfer them to people.
- By contact with an infected person. The larvae can spread through bedding, towels, and other items that an infected patient has used. According to statistics, helminths are present in the body of 60% of the population, migrants of Asian origin are a special risk group.
- By eating contaminated meat or fish. Worm eggs and larvae are destroyed by prolonged exposure to high temperatures.
- Sometimes insect bites can be the cause of the infection.
Once in the human body, the worms actively multiply and release toxic waste. Their accumulation and increase in number increases the symptoms of malaise. To get rid of the parasite, you need to see a doctor and undergo a course of treatment.
Signs of worm infection in an adult
The presence of a parasite in the organs can be determined by external signs. These include skin manifestations that significantly worsen your condition and cause itching. For example, inflammation, acne, cracked heels, layering of nails.
Worm infection has symptoms similar to other diseases. The strengthening of various manifestations depends on the location of the helminth. In addition to rashes, intestinal disorders are characteristic:
- unstable stools;
- specific mouth odor, increased gas formation;
- itching in the anus;
- weight loss with a parallel increase in appetite.
The parasite's toxins also affect the nervous system, causing headaches and irritability. With the significant increase in the number of helminths, memory problems and depression can arise. The immune system is not restored due to a lack of important vitamins and elements. A person is constantly sick under the influence of viruses and bacteria. If the respiratory system is affected, coughing and choking attacks can occur.
If you encounter these symptoms, you should see a doctor. A specialist, using the test results and a thorough examination, will establish the form of the parasite and prescribe medication.
Types of helminths that parasitize in the human body
Treatment of the disease is prescribed depending on the type of parasite that has settled in Organs internal organs. Various worms affect certain tissues and cause specific symptoms.
The main forms of infection with parasitic worms are distinguished:
- Enterobiasis is formed under the influence of worms. Small round organisms are located in the intestines and cause intense itching of the skin of the anus.
- Trichinella penetrate the muscles through the blood vessel system. Symptoms appear abruptly and unexpectedly in the form of fever, fever, swelling of the eyelids and face.
- Vlasoglavy belong to the nematodes and affect the large intestine. Signs of the disease are mild or absent. There may be dizziness, abdominal pain, inflammation of the appendix.
- The defeat of different types of tapeworms. These include bovine tapeworm, broad tapeworm, pork tapeworm. Parasites live in the intestines, differ in a ribbon-shaped body, divided into many small parts. Symptoms are characterized by dizziness, abdominal pain, stool disorders.
These forms of invasions are most often caused by non-compliance with personal hygiene, ingestion of poorly fried meat. Pets are also a source of the parasite's spread.
If the patient indicates symptoms of worm infestation, the doctor confirms the diagnosis with the help of laboratory tests. Most often, faeces are examined for helminth eggs and an enzyme immunoassay is performed. In addition, anus scrapings, endoscopy and ultrasound may be studied.
Medications needed to treat worms
If helminths are found in the human body, the doctor prescribes medication. To get rid of the disease, many turn to traditional medicine. It is possible to use the combined treatment, but its effectiveness will be monitored by a specialist.
The presence of worms in Organs internal organs is not a dangerous diagnosis if the disease is identified in time and a course of drugs is prescribed. Its impact will be aimed at destroying the parasite that poisons the body of the infected. After the removal of helminths and their metabolic products, human health is restored.
Due to the need to suppress the parasite, the composition of drugs will contain components that affect its ability to absorb nutrients. The lack of nutrition and breeding conditions will lead to the death of the worms.
Medications according to the type of effect on worms are divided into the following types:
- Active components block the worms' nervous and muscular systems. They develop paralysis, cannot attach themselves to the walls of the intestines, and are excreted from the body.
- The drug interferes with the processes of glucose oxidation in the parasite's body, which causes its death.
- Drugs that block cellular tubulin formation and ATP synthesis.
- Medications that affect the intestinal system of the helminth.
- Components that destroy the worm's shell. They are exposed to calcium and digested by the human intestinal system.
There are drugs of wide influence and intended for a certain type of helminths. The choice of medication is made by the doctor based on the tests, the severity of the symptoms and the method of treatment. In addition, the presence of possible contraindications to the use of the drug is taken into account.
Also, funds are prescribed that eliminate the manifestation of allergic reactions to parasite toxins. Taking these pills reduces the level of poisoning with the worm waste and relieves the symptoms of the disease. Auxiliary components are used individually for the complex course of helminthiasis.
Atypical methods of treating helminthiasis
The use of medication is particularly effective in fighting worms. The only disadvantage of drugs is their contraindications. For such situations, non-drug treatment is used:
- oxygen exposure;
- alcohol treatment.
The Indian Ayurvedic system of medicine raises the overall tone of the body, restores vitality and helps in the fight against helminths. According to this teaching, the cause of worm infection is failure to observe personal hygiene and purity of thought. Special exercises are used to help maintain health and laxative decoctions. Herbs combined with hot spices cleanse the body of toxins. Successfully used thyme, wormwood, St. John's wort with a break from the course for a week.
The essence of oxygen treatment is to saturate the cells of the gastrointestinal tract with the appropriate gas. To do this, a tube is inserted into the esophagus and oxygen is pumped through it. The procedure is repeated for several days. Ozone therapy is also used to kill worms. The tube with this method is inserted into the anus. An ozone-oxygen mixture is supplied through it, paralyzing the helminths. Sometimes oil and ozone enemas are used.
Alcoholic beverages are used as a component of treatment. Cognac and tea are mixed in equal amounts and then drunk on an empty stomach with a laxative. Cognac is used as an independent medicine, one tablespoon for five days. Destroys helminths infused with garlic vodka for 10 days.
Traditional medicine methods in the treatment of worms
The variety of folk remedies allows you to choose the best one for each case of infection. Natural components that affect parasites include the following:
- Pumpkin and flax seeds combined with laxative decoctions.
- Absinthe infusions, pomegranate.
- Garlic and onion phytoncides.
- Ginger root with sugar.
- Dried clove seeds, ground in a coffee grinder.
- Enemas with castor oil and sodium bicarbonate.
The choice of recipe depends on which types of helminths live in the body. Based on the test results, the parasitologist will select the optimal combination of different treatment methods.
Ways to protect yourself against worm infection
Health maintenance is possible subject to personal hygiene rules in all situations. Hands should be washed with soap and water after visiting public places and traveling on public transport. It is necessary to monitor the cleanliness of underwear and prevent the accumulation of dirt under the nails.
Pets must be dewormed every six months. After contact with stray dogs and cats, it is important to clean the surface of your hands with antibacterial soap.
Vegetables, fruits and herbs should be consumed well washed. Meat and fish should be treated with high heat for at least 40 minutes.
Following these recommendations will help prevent infection and subsequent treatment.